Bossa Nova - Back By Popular Demand!

12345 ... 8

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
Yes, I was thinking of "The Tourist Trade," but Jack Carson did not sing that one.  Jack Carson sang the Calypso sounding song, "Run Run Run."

Avon Long sang "The Tourist Trade."  He was from Baltimore.

Re: Bossa Nova

anialek36

Re: Bossa Nova

Dave Brubeck born December 6, 1920, passed this month on December 5, 2012.  That is 92-years to the day, give or take a few hours.  Wow.

I inherited this album from my older brother who purchased it in 1963.  He was twelve years older than me, so I was too young to ever really get to know him as an adult.  He must have been one "cool cat" listening to this stuff back then.

New Years Eve reflections from the USA.

Bossa Nova USA

Re: Bossa Nova

anialek36
Dave BrubeckI love this artist, it's amazing

<nabble_embed></nabble_embed>
Greetings from Poland:)
Ania

Re: Bossa Nova

"Light My Fire" - Bossa Nova lives on . . .  Glad you liked Dave Brubeck, I dig them rhythms!

The New Year has dawned across the great Atlantic, but we are still waiting for it to arrive - like a "Wave."  Still my favorite version to date.  Another jazz piano player, the immortal Oscar Peterson.  I had to buy this CD.  Happy New Year Ania!

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
Song of the day . . .

"Samba Saravah" - Stacey Kent

Re: Bossa Nova

know what???? I would love to see you do a blog spot for the new website. You know, talk about anything and let folks chime in.  What do you think?

Re: Bossa Nova

Thank you Mike, but I will have to decline at this time.  I talk too much as it is.  But I will continue to provide feedback about the site, if you like?

I do enjoy exploring YouTube and sharing some of my finds, and a little chit chat.  I rarely watch TV or listen to radio music.  Many of the things I am interested in are not topics suitable for Sampod - too boring for the others, or too controversial . . . my more serious side.  But I do like "good music" though, and learning all about it from a musician (amateur guitar) point of view - which is all gravy.  I would love to see more interest in the music part of the Forum . . .

Re: Bossa Nova

I love YouTube.  You can learn so much on YouTube.  Just name a topic you are interested in and voila, there it is, usually with many examples to choose from.  I use it to find music, movies, learn how to fix my plumbing, my house, or my car, keep up on the important things going on in the world, how to do just about anything, for inspiration, entertainment, practical problem solving, and free guitar lessons.

I love this song, I can play it now thanks to this guy and YouTube, but it is still a little rough around the edges.   Just need to practice, practice, practice until I can do it with my eyes closed .  .  . when I am done, with my own version, it will be even better (I hope,) because I love the song more than him - way more!

Re: Bossa Nova

The roller-skating version of Meditation . . .

Re: Bossa Nova

you and me both. I think the major problem is: when people come to our site, there is so much to see and look at, they forget to comment or forget the forum.

Re: Bossa Nova

Mike, in the left hand column, consider changing "SONGS AND MEMORIES FORUM" (in all upper-case) to something like:

"FORUM - Come join us!"

Nobody cares what the Forum is called (just the word FORUM capitalized stands out better, and an invitation helps too.)

Also, An Important Rule of Visual Arts and Lettering - using all upper case letters extensively (More than a line or two) strains the eye to visually distinguish the letters (slows the reader down,) that's why books are not written in all upper-case (learned all about it in my "Lettering" and "Advertising and Layout" classes in Commercial Art School.  I got all A's...and a degree.)

My instructor always used to say, if you want to write something that NOBODY will read, put it in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.  It's OK for titles, headings, emphasis, but should be used sparingly.  The variety of upper and lower case also works for titles.  It's all about LEGIBILITY which is what using Upper and Lower case, and variety, achieves.  It is common for people to think all CAPS is an attention getter - trust me, sparingly is better, I spent hundreds of hours of my life on this - it's an art, and it makes a difference.  But just knowing the general rule will help a lot.  Just compare these two paragraphs.    I never read the whole thing until now.

1.  AS OUR WEBSITE REGULARS KNOW, WE HAVE HAD SOME ISSUES WITH THE FOLKS WHO SUPPLY US WITH A FORUM...IT KEEPS MYSTERIOUSLY CLOSING OR DISAPPEARING. IN ORDER FOR THAT NOT TO HAPPEN IN THE FUTURE, WE HAVE BEGUN THIS NEW FORUM. TALK TO US. TALK TO EACH OTHER. TRY TO KEEP THE COMMENTS FROM GETTING TOO FAR OFF THE BEATEN PATH. FEEL FREE TO EXPRESS YOUR OPINIONS ABOUT MOST ANYTHING, BUT PLEASE KEEP ON TOPIC. WE HAVE A FRESH NEW START HERE...A LOT OF THINGS TO START FROM SCRATCH. IT'S FUN TO BEGIN ANEW. SO...SIT BACK, RELAX, ENJOY!

(The above paragraph letters are too uniform, all the letters are the same height, blah, blah, blah, etc. and blend into each other visually.)

2.  As our website regulars know, we have had some issues with the folks who supply us with the FORUM...it keeps mysteriously closing or disappearing.  In order for that not to happen in the future, we have begun this new FORUM.  Talk to us.  Talk to each other.  Try to keep the comments from getting too far off the beaten path.  Feel free to express your opinions about most anything, but please keep on topic.  We have a fresh start here...a lot of things to start from scratch.  It's fun to begin anew.  So...sit back, relax, enjoy!

I guess I'd better stay on topic.

Re: Bossa Nova

This is one of my favorites. I wish I could play like him!

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
Very nice Janet.  He's definitely a pro!

How about this girl?  Where did she find the time in her youth to master the guitar?

Re: Bossa Nova

Wow! Nick! We'll be hearing her name in the future! John Williams was the same way. He was a genius from about the age of 5. I wish I had learned that young!

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
"The Girl From Russia" plays "The Girl From Ipanema."  I like her playing and her transition into "Desafinado" at the end.  Very classy . . .

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
If I were going to make a movie, I'd dig up some Henry Mancini tunes for the soundtrack.  I wonder if anybody used this song in a movie?

Re: Bossa Nova

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
Stacey Kent - "It Might As Well Be Spring."

Re: Bossa Nova

My guitar teacher has turned me on to Howling Wolf. I've been playing this. It's fun!

But unfortunately I had send my Fender into the shop for repairs. So I pulled out my Rodriguez and played this yesterday.

12345 ... 8