Bossa Nova - Back By Popular Demand!

1234 ... 8

Bossa Nova - Back By Popular Demand!

You dreamed, and we listened!  Bossa Nova to help you through the winter.  Grab a Pina Colada, sit back and enjoy.  Nice Susie Wong!

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
More Suzie . . . more!

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
You're killing me Susan!  Not really Bossa, but beautifull.

Re: Bossa Nova

you are sharing a lot of new folks for us oldies. Thanks, Nick

Re: Bossa Nova

I just discovered her this afternoon Mike.  I really like what I hear.  You should hear her Bossa version of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean."   But first, Suzie doing the Bee Gee's.  Not a Bossa, but then rules were made to be broken.

Re: Bossa Nova

I always liked the movie "The World of Suzie Wong."  Now I've discovered a new Suzie Wong.

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
Bossa "Billie Jean."  Ok, that is it for Suzie Wong for now.  I wonder who will be next?

Re: Bossa Nova

keep it coming..I am learning something good. I would like to hear some of your new discoveries..but NOT ADELE.  I am not impressed with her, like half the world is.

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
I am not a big Adele fan either Mike.  Too harsh a style for me based on what I have heard.  Just personal preference.

Re: Bossa Nova

Let's go back to 1958-59.  Most music historians agree, this song, "Chega de Saudade" (translates "No More Blues") written by Antonio Carlos Jobim, and performed on guitar by Joao Gilberto, was "The birth of Bossa Nova."  I found that information in my Bossa Nova guitar book; I am not that smart.  I am learning about Bossa Nova too.  I just love it, if you couldn't tell.

Neat pictures!  I have to go to Rio someday.  All my embedded videos generally open to full-screen.

Re: Bossa Nova

Like the various standards, jazz, pop, etc., Bossa Nova standards provide great material to challenge musicians to create their own interpretations, many of which take the material to new levels beyond what Jobim and Gilberto originally performed.  But they started it all.  It must be a real joy to hear someone take your songs and build upon them.  Jobim and Gilberto must get a kick out of that.  Such a tribute of love and appreciation to be playing these great songs by so many great artists over the years, and it still is going strong today!

Here, you sing this time, or just groove.  Feel the beat, it's unique.  Accent on the first beat.  ONE-ee-an-ee, TWO-ee-an-ee, THREE-ee-an-ee, FOUR-ee-an-ee . . .

Re: Bossa Nova

Same beat.  See, everybody does Bossa!  Taylor Swift . . .

Re: Bossa Nova

Same bossa beat, just a little slower.  One of my favorite versions of this song, along with Doris's version too.  Sweet dreams . . .

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
Hmmmm, I couldn't sleep.  Had Bossa Nova on my mind.

One of the beautiful things about Bossa Nova and guitar, the instrument on which Bossa was first played, is the pure simple, warm, syncopated rhythm that is so often heard in the background of the song, lending a relaxed but energetic feeling.  The style is different than many of the ways guitar is played, because like classical guitar, it often plays or mimics the parts of 3 guitars - bass, rhythm, and lead guitars all at the same time.  That makes it interesting to me.   Like the classic line from a Bossa Nova song.  "Quiet nights and quiet stars, quiet chords from my guitar . . . "  This guy is really good.  It is just him and his guitar, but listen, he is playing all 3-parts.

Amor Em Paz

Re: Bossa Nova

So you ask what does "Amor Em Paz" mean?  I don't know for sure.  I have heard it means "Love in Peace,"  but also, "Once I Loved."

Let's ask Mr. Sinatra - who gives it some words.  Bossa Nova is sometimes sad, but always real.  At least the stuff Jobim wrote.  Sad but lovely at the same time.  How many movies do you think used this song?

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
Boy, that last one was depressing . . . I am sure we've all been through that . . .

Bossa can be very uplifting too.  Another Jobim song.  "Triste" which means "Sad or sorrowful," but this is anything but sad!  This is what Santa listens to when flying over Brazil.

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
Mr. Sinatra, could we please have the words to "Triste" in English?  Thank you for recording that.  I guess it is kind of sad. . .

Re: Bossa Nova

Why is it sad?  To me, when you say that word in connection with Sinatra...I think of the last two albums he recorded (DUETS 1 and 2). Although they were both gold records, I honestly think that Frank should have said no to that venture. His voice by then sounded like the voice of a very expensive frog.

Re: Bossa Nova

Nick
Mike, the lyrics are sort of sad, not Franky-baby, I mean Mr. Sinatra.  You have to follow the flow of the previous posts to catch my drift.  I've been laying it down as you requested.

Bossa Nova came from the Samba.  It is a variation of the Samba, which has its roots in Africa.  I am still learning, but this is what I know.  The Samba rhythm has the following characteristics:

- A medium to fast tempo.
- Two beat measures (2/2 or 2/4 time signatures.)
- Syncopated accents (drums, tamborine, cha chas, etc.) particularly on the 4th beat.
- A simplified bass line that accents the 2nd note of each measure.

I believe this is a Samba.  It's about time we heard from Stan Getz on Sax.  The guy on Guitar, is the famous Luiz Bonfa.  You'll notice a different beat from the Bossa Nova.  "So Danco Samba" means "I Only Dance The Samba."  You have to be good to play the rhythmic complexities of the Samba.

Ok, now after this, name the song from the movie "Romance On The High Seas" that is a Samba.

Re: Bossa Nova

Are you talking about the one sung by Jack Carson? "The Tourist Trade"???
1234 ... 8