BULLOCK VS DAY

It seems that Sandra Bullock is trying to give Doris Day a run for her money, trying to become the new all time box office champion.  BIG DIFFERENCE: Hard as she tries, she just is not as talented as Doris in so many fields...and she can't sing.  I really do not wish her luck.  She is too inconsistent in her acting talents.

Re: BULLOCK VS DAY

I agree but I do like her.

Re: BULLOCK VS DAY

Nick
Me too.

Re: BULLOCK VS DAY

I LOVED the Proposal.  Too many of her others: she is too silly.
Her Oscar winning role..me not impressed.

Re: BULLOCK VS DAY

As a representative of the generation that did not have the pleasure to see DD active (I'm trying here to politely say - of a younger generation) given all the untalented people that have ungraced the silver screen I think Sandra really does stand out. She shouldn't be compared to DD but should be compared to her contemporaries. I particularly love most of her films and can't deny that she is America's sweetheart of today.

As for whether she will top Doris as the box office queen, I don't think that will ever happen given not all of Doris's films have been accounted for into her final figure! They haven't been using a consistent measure to keep track of this figure so comparison will always be wrong. (of what I am aware of).

Has anybody seen Gravity? I hear a lot of Oscar buzz for it.

Re: BULLOCK VS DAY

I want to see Captain Phillips with Tom Hanks.

Re: BULLOCK VS DAY

I hear "Gravity" is awesome, and you should go see it before you hear too much about it, so that it will all be a surprise.  I like George Clooney too.

When I was a wee lad, back before I arrived in America on the Mayflower, there were incredible minstrel shows that were out of this world!  That was of course, before moving pictures, and photography.  Just kidding... but you are right Christie, it is not really fair to compare different eras.

Haven't heard about the Tom Hanks movie, but I'll bet it is good too.

Re: BULLOCK VS DAY

I love Tom Hanks, anything he is in I watch. He is a guarantee of quality no matter what! :) I could watch him for 3 hours talking to a valley ball....oh wait....

Nick... I hope you kept drawings of the ship! :) Funny funny

Re: BULLOCK VS DAY

Nick
Yes I did Christie, and it was a bumpy ride!

Re: BULLOCK VS DAY

Very pretty!!! I wish I could draw like that!

Re: BULLOCK VS DAY

you CAN draw like that...and even better!  Don't be so humble, Christie; you are really talented.

I agree that Bullock is certainly better than most of her contemporaries, but like you, I doubt that anyone, any time soon, will beat Doris Record. Actually, it won't matter anyway because A STAR TODAY has no relationship to what A STAR WAS 20 YEARS AGO.  We have almost no major stars around of the ilk of DORIS, MARILYN, CLARK, PAUL, ELIZABETH, SOPHIA.
Back in the 40's, 50's, 60's it truly was STAR POWER.
Today..it is all about SPECTACLE.  (Most acting teachers don't give today's performers very many high marks.)

Re: BULLOCK VS DAY

Actually, it was more like this Christie. I was 6-months old and I don't remember a thing, but the music sounds familiar.

"Five foot two, eyes of blue, oh what those five foot two can do, has anybody seen my gal..."

Re: BULLOCK VS DAY

Thanks Mike. I draw alright..but I don't practice at all. Hopefully when my phd is done I will get to do things I want to do more :)

That's a nice video Nick!

Back to Sandy, did you see the pics from Gravity premiere...she was stunning!

Re: BULLOCK VS DAY

PettlesTake2
Nice post Mike, and I love everyone's responses.

Sandra Bullock is a favorite of mine, but she will never be in the same category as Doris, no matter what anyone anywhere in the world says (speaking of so called entertainment critics, etc).

Doris' multitude of talents are a gift from God.  Doris was meant to do what she's done in the line of careers.

Many others have been meant to work within their talents too, but there are standards that have scales of productivity and success.

All of Doris' endeavors have been instant and major successes.  It just so happens that most of Doris' endeavors have been in the entertainment industry where many people flood for a huge variety of reasons - mostly the big bucks and personal notoriety.

Doris has talent that cannot be denied that exuded from her, so much so that others who had connections that matter hand carried her to places where she could be successful - THAT is from God.

The bottom line is that Doris came through with her talents (i.e.; she was on time, took direction, and worked at whatever it took to do her job).  Many become so full of themselves that their talents are lost.

Sandra is also a viable talent who works hard in professional ways.

However, no one, including Sandra Bullock, will ever match Doris' talents and instantaneous super star, and super talent, levels and titles.

Many stars are made in Hollywood and on Broadway who the industry broadcasts as "the" talent of the ages like no other - just like Turner Broadcasting Network does many times over about so many stars - while ignoring Doris (maybe not so much now, but she's still ignored a great deal).

Respect Sandra and many in the industry.  Seen Sandra filmed on stage joking with Betty White (so maybe she knows Doris), but Sandra (and everyone else) will never meet the breadth of complete, and high level, talents that Doris was born with, and I say that not because I love Doris so very much, but because anyone who ignores Doris' talents are not seeing and hearing with their eyes and ears opened.

Thank you for the subject Mike, and I always enjoy everyone's contributions here.

Re: BULLOCK VS DAY

PettlesTake2
By the way, great drawing Nick.  Nice, very nice.

:)

Re: BULLOCK VS DAY

I heard an interview on tv recently with a Hollywood Producer (forget his name) but the subject of Doris Day came up regarding the reason why her talents were not recognized so much by her peers (Oscar) while recognized by folks like Quigley (box office $$$).
He said that Doris was not liked by the Hollywood Community, for the most part, because she would not attend the "party circuit". Evidently, those who partied together were the ones who got the votes, while Doris and Marty Melcher, he said, stayed home and fixed ice cream for their guests (like June Allyson...also underappreciated in Hollywood).  Very Interesting comment.
Sounds like a research project for Christie...How many Oscar Winners were party goers? Especially in the 50's and up.

Re: BULLOCK VS DAY

They are not my drawings Pettles, but thanks anyway.  I found them on a search.  I was kidding with Christie about her comment.  Never did a serious drawing of a ship, except some "paint-by-numbers" kits I did when I was a kid.

Also, I agree 100% with your comments about Doris Day.  Not even comparable with Sandra Bullock.  It really isn't fair to compare entertainers.  Each person has their own unique talents.  Some develop them more than others.  But Doris set a high standard for others to be inspired by in their own journey.

Isn't that the way it is Mike, if you don't play "the reindeer games," they get offended.  I never liked "reindeer games" either.  Hurray for Doris, a unique individual is always so much more interesting!