BILLY ROSE’S JUMBO 1962

Hollywood
"Ladies and Gentlemen may I have your attention please?...The one and only JUMBO!"

Songs and Memories Review of this film:

The last of the great MGM musicals, this was a story of a failing circus looking for backers. Co-starring Steven Boyd, Jimmy Durante and Martha Raye, the musical has some great songs and two of Doris’ best: “Little Girl Blue” and “My Romance”. The soundtrack was a popular seller.  The movie itself was released at a time when musicals were no longer in favor and ended up being Doris' last musical film; she was so good in this one, it should have led to many more.

Ralph McKnight on IMDB gave this film such a great review that we reproduce it here:

"In 1962, Doris Day was the top box office star (male or female) in the world. "Billy Rose's Jumbo" opened in New York at Radio City Music Hall during a  newspaper strike and a snow storm which made the film suffer at the box office.  It is a wonderful film with great music, good acting and some  exciting circus acts.  Steven Boyd was the latest actor/wanna-be star to utilize Miss Day as a stepping stone to fame.  He was handsome and a good choice to play opposite Doris Day.

The story is secondary to the rest of the film. Simply, Doris' father, Jimmy Durante, owner of the Wonder Circus, was in deep  financial trouble and about to lose his business.  Boyd played the son of the  owner of a rival circus who wants to take over the Durante organization  including the main attraction, Jumbo, the wonder elephant.

Doris Day had some  wonderful moments.  She showed her mettle as a comedienne in a scene where she  takes over a crap game from her father to win back the money he has lost. Her singing of "My Romance" was very beautiful, and her rendition of "Little Girl Blue" was both dramatic and poignant.

This picture is often dismissed as being a flop, the only film which failed
during Miss Day's run of box office bonanzas.That's unfair because the New York  Critics' reviews were not available to inform the public.  Their words set the  tone for the success or failure of a film.  That was especially true in 1962."

(Note: This film grossed almost 6 million dollars in 1962 dollars...certainly not chump change.  However, it followed  "Mink" which grossed almost 15 million dollars at the same time and preceded "Thrill" which grossed over 11 million...so it was not up to "Doris par".)

Re: BILLY ROSE’S JUMBO 1962

Re: BILLY ROSE’S JUMBO 1962

Re: BILLY ROSE’S JUMBO 1962

This film is not shown as often as it should. It is a great look at circus life and a wonderful story to beat. Personally, I think Doris and Steve had wonderful chemistry and some of the songs among the best DD has ever sung.
Besides, Martha Raye, Jimmy Durante and Jumbo are a hoot!

Re: BILLY ROSE’S JUMBO 1962

My review of “Billy Rose’s Jumbo”:

I must LOVE this movie, b/c I have a LOT of pictures from it.  Though she sung in films after this, Billy Rose's Jumbo is the last official musical she starred in (as many of u already know).  Someone rightly said that at least we had her albums to look forward to after this.

I knew of Jimmy Durante before this film, but hadn't seen him (nor Martha Raye or Stephen Boyd) in a film before this and I think with Doris, they are a strong foursome/ensemble with great chemistry, like MIKE said.  This is such a FUN, COLORFUL film balanced with beautiful ballads sung by Doris.  “Little Girl Blue” is such a stunning song.  Robert Osborne (from TCM) said that he got to be there while they were filming that scene and I’m dying to just grab him and beg him to tell me everything.  MIKE: I agree with you that this film isn’t shown enough.

More photos to come.

Re: BILLY ROSE’S JUMBO 1962

Hollywood
Pictures: Scenes from Jumbo Part 1  (Some may be repeats already posted)

"Roll 'em Snake Eyes..."

"My Romance..."

Re: BILLY ROSE’S JUMBO 1962

Hollywood
Pictures: Scenes from Jumbo Part 2  (Some may be repeats already posted)

Seein' Double?  hehe

Re: BILLY ROSE’S JUMBO 1962

Hollywood
Pictures: Publicity of Doris in Jumbo (Some may be repeats already posted)

Re: BILLY ROSE’S JUMBO 1962

Hollywood
Pictures: Publicity of the Gang in Jumbo (Some may be repeats already posted)

Re: BILLY ROSE’S JUMBO 1962

Behind the Scenes and Animal Pictures from Jumbo:

This is the most expressive I've ever seen Stephen Boyd!

Edited June 19th, 2014: Oops!  Thx to Mike for reminding me it is "Richard Chamberlain", which it says at the top of the photo.  Silly me.

That's all folks.

Re: BILLY ROSE’S JUMBO 1962

Hollywood
Where is everyone?  Don't leave me hanging.

Re: BILLY ROSE’S JUMBO 1962

Great pics Holly!

Re: BILLY ROSE’S JUMBO 1962

Hollywood
Thx Janet!

Re: BILLY ROSE’S JUMBO 1962

out on a limb here, but I think it was in this film that Doris Day was at her absolute peak. She was unbelievably beautiful and her singing was perfection.  Fortunately, she retired before her singing began to falter. No dummy, she.

I still say she and S. Boyd had good chemistry.

Holly...that expressive picture of Steven Boyd is actually Richard Chamberlain who visited the set that day.

Re: BILLY ROSE’S JUMBO 1962

Hollywood
MIKE:  That's right about Richard Chamberlain.  It even says that at the top of the pic.  Sorry.  I'll change it. thx.

I think her and S. Boyd have good chemistry.  I just think he's a bit stiff sometimes.